List of Ingredients
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1-1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 tsp crumbled sage
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 packed cups 1-inch cubes of stale Italian or French bread (about 1 pound)
- 1-1/2 cups turkey or chicken stock, preferably homemade
- In a large , melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and apple. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, sage, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread cubes with the onion mixture. Tossing the bread cubes, add the turkey broth to moisten. Pack the stuffing lightly into a buttered 3-1/2-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and slow-cook on HIGH (300° F) for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to LOW (200° F) and slow-cook until heated through, 3 to 4 hours. (The slow cooker will keep the dressing at serving temperature for up to 3 hours.)
Makes 10 to 12 servings.